Tuesday, July 28, 2009

~ 5th MIB Medical Sciences Conference ~

22 July - 25 July 2009

Talking about this conference, i had face alot of difficulties before and after the conference..

Firstly, the poster.. yes, i sent the powerpoint and the application form to the related party to do it as suggested by the Secretariat 2 weeks ago. As i always know it is better earlier than later..
The day before I departed to Indonesia, i called many times to the person in charge as he told me he would finished it for me by that day. Who knows? he was in meeting from morning till almost 4pm when i called him. As a result, i had no choice but to settle it by myself, i went to the nearby shop and printed it for RM150 on the spot. Afterward, i was told he finished the poster for me but i did not have sufficient time to pick it up.

The same night, i was wondering for the payment of flight tickets. I emailed and contacted the Secretariat, yet no reponse from her and later i found out that she already went to Indonesia. She did not inform me the method of payment even though she did emailed to the others. I was praying hard that everything would be alright.

The next morning, I found out from the travel agency that my name was not in the list. I was panicked and started to cry. I sms-ed to my Prof and another doctor telling them the incidence.

They suggested me to book with the travel agent. Luckily, he was able to make the reservation for me, but with a higher price. I could not care much and i just agreed since my presentation was the following day.

Finally, settled for it. I took taxi and reached campus so that we all would go to KLIA by the Uni bus. Of course, in this kind of situation, i forgot to bring somethings.. Nevertheless, it is not much harm except my anti-histamine pills (Big buddy said i was allergy to the bed in Hotel, small itchy red spots appeared. Gosh!) The flight delayed for 2 hours, gosh.. from KLM to Merpati but in the end, the travel agent put me and another 3 persons into Lion Air. well, we could not care much as our main focus was to reach Indonesia before the Conference.

When we reached Jakarta Soekarno Hatta Airport, it was almost 8pm. And we were waiting the special bus from UI to fetch us to the Mercure Hotel - the venue of the Conference as well.
I did not have any dinner but luckily i grabbed something to eat around 5pm at KLIA.
When i reached Hotel room, it was nearly 10pm..
However, the room at least made my day.. Spacious with 2 queen size beds and a sofa bed.. Big tv for me to enjoy the nights and a comfy bathroom.


We explored some places in Jakarta after our presentations. It was fun as we did not do any survey ("research") of Jakarta before we came. As we know the time was limited due to the Conference. Nevertheless, i felt happy as we went to MONAS , Pasar Seni, Mangga Dua, Plaza Indonesia, Grand Indonesia shopping malls with nice decorations, and took their Angkut (similar to Tuk-tuk),Transjakarta Bus and Blue Bird Taxi to wander around.


Well, about the food, we did not have a chance to taste on it except the Baso Chicken Bread as most of the meals were provided by the hotel throughout the conference.

And i bought some souvenirs in Pasar Seni. I did not change much Rupiah so i paid some with MYR. and the airport, i changed some for the departure tax Rp150K. And i paid my IceBlended Mocha at Starbucks using Credit Card (Rp37K).. haha.. And one thing was i back to KL using KLM (Royal Dutch Airlines).. Finally :) So we back safely to KLIA however, the flight was delayed to reach as traffic was heavy near KLIA, and KLM had to turn few rounds before landing .. there went away 25 minutes of time..We reached KLIA by 10.30pm and waited to get our luggages.

We then were told the Uni bus was broke down due to the spoilt fan. we waited and waited and the bus came at 12.00am... And i reached campus around 1.00am. Supper at McD setapak and reached home at 2.00am... Well, at least, i reached safely with souvenirs.. :) Overall, Jakarta is a huge city and i dont think i will visit it again if not necessary. As i dont see anything special of it.. But Bandung and Jogjakarta will be in my list of 2010 for mum to shop and for myself to visit Borobudur... :)